Since F-gases are extensively used as the coolant in fridges and freezers, it will affect both owners and users of select commercial refrigeration equipment that contain F-gases as of January 1, 2020. That is the reason industries are focusing on less damaging refrigerants such as R417A refrigerant gas in Dubai.
This ranges from freezers used to keep frozen foods in medium-sized convenience stores to large supermarkets’ huge refrigeration equipment on the shop floor and back-of-the-store storage.
The “F-gas” Regulation (EU) 517/2014 on fluorinated greenhouse gases set certain bans on the use and placing on the market of refrigerant gases used in refrigeration as of 1 January 2020. To begin, here’s a verbatim quote:
Article 13 “Use Control”,
“Beginning January 1, 2020, the use of fluorinated greenhouse gases with a global warming potential of 2,500 or more in the repair or maintenance of refrigeration equipment with a charge size of 40 tons of CO2 equivalent [CO2] or more will be forbidden.”
Military equipment and equipment meant to cool items down below -50°C are exceptions.
As you can see, all refrigerant gas limitations, which take effect on January 1, 2020, apply to fluorinated refrigerants with a GWP of more than 2,500.
How can I tell if I’m affected?
- The first step is to inspect your refrigeration system and see whether it uses R417A refrigerant gas in Dubai.
- The label’s information
- You should have a label with the following information:
The amount of F-gas used by refrigeration equipment; that F-“Global gas’s Warming Potential” (GWP); that F-“Carbon dioxide equivalent,” or CO2.
If you do any of the following, you are subject to the ban:
The GWP of the F-gas is larger than 2,500, and its CO2 is greater than 40 tons.
If you can’t discover your equipment’s label, ask your service engineer or the manufacturer for assistance.
What Will That Mean? R417A Refrigerant Gas in Dubai
It’s possible that your refrigeration equipment already uses F-gas that’s below the legal limit. If this is the case, the fridges or freezers can be topped up as usual.
If you are afflicted by an F-gas that has a strong global warming effect in your fridges or freezers, you can:
- Replace it with recycled or recovered F-gas such as R417A refrigerant gas in Dubai of the same type. This item’s availability may dwindle over time.
- If your equipment allows it, top up with a less dangerous f-gas.
- Consider purchasing new equipment that will be unaffected by the prohibition.
- Consider upgrading your equipment so that it can use a less dangerous f-gas.